These rules apply to Skyss buses in Vestland County and the Bergen Light Rail, in addition to the following boat routes in Vestland County:
- Askøybåten - the boat route between Kleppestø and Strandkaiterminalen in Bergen
- Nordhordlandsbåten - the boat route between Knarvik – Frekhaug and Strandkaiterminalen in Bergen
- Florabassenget – the boat routes Florø-Askrova-Stavang-Svanøy and Florø-Barekstad-Batalden-Fanøy-Rognaldsvåg-Kinn
- Kaupanger Quay-Frønningen
Vestland County is divided into ten price zones. It is the number of zones from boarding to disembarking that determines the price. The prices are shown in the applicable price tables. For all tickets, a maximum price applies in case of four zones. All prices are rounded to the nearest Norwegian krone (NOK) (single tickets) and the nearest NOK 5 (season tickets).
For Airport Express Buses in Førde and Sogndal, separate tickets, discounts, prices and purchases apply (see section 6).
1.1 Valid travel document
Boarding is permitted as long as you board the means of transport on route while your ticket is valid. During the journey, the customer must always be able to present valid proof of payment. Proof of payment means a valid ticket for the time period and zone(s), and any valid documentation in case of claiming a discount (ID, student ID/proof of senior’s discount/concessionary discount, etc.). All discount schemes apply regardless of country of residence and nationality.
The ticket format may vary depending on where the ticket was purchased:
- Skyss Ticket App: The ticket is located in the app.
- The webshop at skyss.no: You can choose between using the Skyss travel card or print the ticket, send it to e-mail orSMS text message.
- Ticket machine: The debit/credit card you use for payment serves as your ticket. You can also send the ticket as an SMS text message.
- On board: You will be issued a paper. If you pay with a debit/credit card, the card you use for payment will also serve as your ticket.
- Customer service centre: You will receive a paper ticket when purchasing single tickets and 24-hour tickets. When purchasing season tickets, you must have a Skyss travel card.
Hordaland: If you have purchased your ticket in advance, you do not need to show the ticket when boarding. You can use any entrance. However, the driver, crew, and inspectors may still ask to see a valid ticket at any time during the journey.
Sogn og Fjordane: If you hva purchased your ticket in advance, you must show the ticket to the driver/crew when boarding. The driver, crew and inspectors may request to see a valid ticket at any time during the journey.
1.2 Fare cooperation agreements
Skyss has fare cooperation with other transport operators. When travelling with other transport operators, a receipt for a valid Skyss ticket must be presented upon inspection.
The following Skyss tickets are valid on trains in Vestland County (Voss Line and Arnalokalen):
- Single ticket, 24-hour ticket and season ticket in Zone A between Bergen and Arna/Trengereid.
- Season ticket (7, 30 and 180 days) in zones A, E and F between Bergen and Voss
- 30-day youth season ticket between Bergen and
Vy has its own discounts and rules related to group travel, travel companions and animals, and applies its own rates for onboard surcharges. You can read more about this at vy.no
1.2.2 Express buses
The following Skyss season tickets are valid on Vy’s express buses and NOR-WAY Bussekspress in Vestland County:
- 30- and 180-day season tickets
- You must have a season ticket for the zones to which you are travelling on the express When travelling beyond the zones for which you have a valid season ticket, you must purchase a single ticket from Vy or NOR-WAY. You pay for the part of the journey for which you do not already have a ticket.
- 30-day youth season tickets
Skyss single ticket is valid on the following express buses:
- Haukeliekspressen (NW180) on the Odda-Røldal-Etne route
- Skyss single ticket must be valid in zone D. You can purchase the ticket through Skyss’ channels, on board the bus or through NOR-WAY’s channels. Tickets purchased in NOR-WAY’s channels are only valid on the NW180 Haukeliekspressen. They cannot be used on Skyss' means of transport. The exception is if you have purchased a ticket from NOR-WAY for Haukeliekspressen, where the ticket also applies to all or part of the Seljestad-Bergen route. This ticket can be used on Skyss line 930.
In order for you to be guaranteed a place on an express bus, you must book a place on in advance. You can do this via Vy’s or NOR-WAY’s channels.
If you want to purchase a single ticket or another express bus ticket, these must be purchased via Vy’s or NOR-WAY’s channels.
Routes where Skyss tickets cannot be used:
Skyss tickets on express buses cannot be used on routes where Skyss itself has a good service. This applies to all express bus routes around Bergen on the following routes:
- between Bergen Bus Terminal and Knarvik
- between Bergen Bus Terminal and Halhjem
- between Bergen Bus Terminal and Trengereid
On these routes, you need to purchase a separate ticket with Vy or Nor-Way. Skyss tickets cannot be used on the Airport Express Bus in Bergen.
1.2.3 The Osterøy Ferry
The following Skyss tickets are valid for persons travelling by bus on the Osterøy Ferry between Breistein and Valestrand:
- 7-, 30- and 180-day season tickets
- You must have a season ticket for Zone
- 30-day youth season tickets
If you want a single ticket for the ferry, you must purchase it from Osterøy Ferjeselskap’s (Osterøy Ferry Company) channels.
2.1 Skyss Ticket App
In the mobile application “Skyss Ticket” for iOS, Android and Huawei phones, you can purchase all types of single tickets, 24-hour tickets and season tickets for the whole of Vestland County.
Payment methods: debit/credit card, Vipps, mobile account
2.1.1. Mobile account - Mobile travel account
Mobile account is a means of payment in the Skyss Ticket App. Deposits to the mobile account must be at least NOK 200, and the maximum balance is NOK 5000. In order for you to pay with your mobile account, the balance must at least be equal to the purchase price. You can top up your mobile account balance in the following ways:
- With a VISA or Mastercard and Vipps
- With a transfer from online Send an SMS text message WITH “KID” to 2412 for more information.
In the webshopat skyss.no, you can purchase all types of single tickets, 24-hours ticket and season tickets for Vestland County. When purchasing season tickets, you must have a Skyss travel card. When purchasing single tickets and 24-hour tickets, you can choose between using a Skyss travel card, printing the ticket or sending the ticket by SMS text message or e-mail.
Payyyent methods: debit/credit card, Vipps
2.2.1 Skyss travel card
The Skyss travel card is a travel card for public transport in Vestland County and is used to purchase tickets in the online shop at skyss.no.
2.3 Ticket machine
You can purchase tickets at ticket machines at all the Bergen Light Rail stops. The debit/credit card you use for payment serves as your ticket.
Payment methods: debit/credit card
You can purchase a single ticket for buses in Vestland County, the light rail, and some boat routes by sending a text message as an SMS.
The SMS ticket is valid from the moment you receive it as an SMS (text massage) and lasts for 90 minutes. The ticket will indicate its validity period. The ticket is only valid in the phone it was purchased with and will not be valid if forwarded.
Payment method: mobile subscription
2.5 On board
You can purchase single tickets and 24-hour tickets on board buses and boats. You will receive a paper ticket and must be able to present a valid proof of payment upon inspection. If you pay with debit/credit card on a bus or boat in Hordaland, the card you use for payment will also serve as your ticket.
Payment methods: debit/credit card, cash
2.5.1 Cash surcharges
In Zone A, you will have to pay a cash surcharge when you purchase a single ticket using cash on board.
Separate rates apply on trains.
2.6 Customer service centre
At the Skyss customer service centre at Bergen Bus Terminal, you can purchase all types of tickets for the Hordaland Region.
Payment methods: debit/credit, cash
3.1 Single ticket
A single ticket is valid for 90 minutes for one zone after purchase/start time, with an additional 30 minutes for each additional zone in which the ticket is valid.
Single tickets are available to adults, children, students, seniors/persons eligible for a concessionary rate and military.
3.2 Season ticket
All season tickets are not linked to an individual and can be used by several people – although not at the same time. The tickets can only be used by one person at a time. The person who uses the ticket must be able to present it and meet the age and discount requirements.
If you travel beyond the zones for which you have a valid season ticket, you must purchase a single ticket. You pay for the zones for which you do not already have a ticket.
3.2.1 24-hour ticket
The 24-hour ticket is valid for an unlimited number of journeys within a specific number of zones. The 24-hour ticket is available to adults, children and seniors/persons eligible for a concessionary rate.
3.2.2 7-, 30- and 180-day tickets
7-, 30- and 180-day tickets are valid for 7, 30 or 180 days for an unlimited number on journeys within a specific number in zones. 7-, 30- and 180-day tickets are available to adults, children, students and seniors/persons eligible for a concessionary rate.
3.2.3 Youth season ticket – 16 up to and including 20 years of age
You can use the 30-day youth season ticket from 16 years of age until then, including the month you turn 21 years old. Pupils in upper secondary school who have not reached 16 years of age can also purchase this type of ticket, but must provide documentation by way of proof of enrolment in upper secondary school.
30-day youth season tickets are valid on all Skyss bus routes in the whole of Vestland County and on the Bergen Light Rail. Such tickets are also valid on the following means of transport:
Other bus routes:
- Kolumbus’ bus routes (including night departures) in the municipalities of Haugesund, Karmøy, Bokn, Tysvær and Vindafjord in Rogaland County
- “Trygt Heim” (Safe home) routes
- Airport express bus in Førde and Sogndal
- Note: Not valid on the Airport Express Bus in Bergen.
- All boat routes in Vestland County, with the following exceptions:
- Osterfjorden boat route
- Geitanger – Knappskog
- Hardanger (Norheimsund – Herand – Utne – Kinsarvik – Lofthus – Ulvik – Eidfjord) tourist route
- Express boat routes to Norled between Sogn and Bergen, and between Nordfjord and Bergen. You can book a seat on board when travelling with a youth season ticket. See norled.no.
All ferry connections in Vestland County. Most ferry connections in Vestland County use the AutoPASS system, whereby passengers travel for free. Where it is not free, you can take use your youth season ticket.
Vy’s and NOR-WAY Bussekspress’ express buses in Vestland County, with the exception of express bus routes around Bergen on the following routes:
- between Bergen Bus Terminal and Knarvik
- between Bergen Bus Terminal and Halhjem
- between Bergen Bus Terminal and Trengereid
In order for you to be guaranteed a place on an express bus, you must book a place in advance. You can do this via Vy’s or NOR-WAY’s channels.
- Departures between Bergen and Myrdal (Voss Line/Arnalokalen).
- Note: Youth season tickets cannot be used on regional trains/long-distance trains (trains between Bergen and Oslo) or the Flåm Line.
Youth season tickets are not valid on other private bus and boat routes in Vestland County.
Remember your receipt:
You are required to show a receipt and identification when travelling by express bus, train or express boat.
Travellers pay different fares depending on the category to which they belong.
Persons between the 18 and 67 years of age who pay full price for all ticket types.
Children between six and 18 years of age pay approximately half price on single tickets, 24-hour tickets and season tickets.
Children up to six years of age travel for free. In case of doubt regarding age, valid ID may be required.
4.3 Senior’s and concessionary discounts
Senior’s and concessionary discounts are applicable to
- persons over 67 years of age
- persons with a concessionary card from NAV. This applies to persons who receive a disability pension pursuant to the Norwegian National Insurance Act with a disability rate of 50 per cent or more, persons receiving equivalent disability benefits from another EEA country and refugees with disabilities who receive supplementary benefits.
- persons with blindness or deafblindness with additional identification cards
- spouse or partner (registered in accordance with the Norwegian Marriage Act) who travels accompanied by a person with a senior’s discount / concessionary discount ticket.
Passengers who qualify for a concessionary rate pay approx. half price on single fare tickets, 24-hour passes and travel passes.
Everyone travelling with tickets with a discounted price must be able to present valid proof upon ticket inspection that they are entitled to a discounted price.
If you are over 67 years of age, a photo ID showing your age will be considered valid proof that you are entitled to a discount.
If you are under 67 years of age, the following applies when you are travelling with a concessionary discount ticket:
- Persons who receive a disability pension pursuant to the Norwegian National Insurance Act with a disability rate of 50 per cent or more, and persons with equivalent disability benefits from another EEA country, must present a blue concessionary discount card from NAV and photo ID.
- Refugees with disabilities who receive supplementary benefits must present a blue concessionary discount card from NAV and photo ID.
- Persons with blindness who do not receive a disability pension must present an additional identification card from the Norwegian Association of the Blind and Partially Sighted in addition to photo ID.
- Persons with deafblindess who have a right to free travel for one companion must present an additional identification card (green concessionary discount card) issued by the Norwegian National Advisory Unit on Deafblindness in addition to photo ID.
NAV issues concessionary discount cards to persons who are entitled to it. Persons with deafblindness and persons with blindness receive additional identification cards from the Norwegian Association of the Blind and Partially Sighted and the Norwegian National Advisory Unit on Deafblindness.
Student tickets entail an approximate 40 per cent discount on single tickets, 24-hour tickets, 7-, 30- and 180-day season tickets.
Student means the following:
- student/pupil who is studying full-time at an upper secondary school, vocational school, university college/university or other educational institution that qualifies for support from the Norwegian State Educational Loan The scheme also covers Norwegian students who are studying abroad. The programme of study must last for at least three months, and for higher education, the programme of study must amount to 30 credits or more per semester. For upper secondary school, the scope of studies must correspond to a one-year course certificate.
- full-time apprentices or training candidates who meet the requirements in Chapter 4 of the Norwegian Education Act
- adult non-Norwegian-speaking students who are receiving training in Norwegian and social studies, or refugees who are participating in the introduction programme.
At the driver’s request or upon inspection, you, as a student, must be able to document that you are studying/apprenticing during the applicable semester. If, upon ticket inspection, you are unable to show valid proof of eligibility for a student discount, you will be required to pay the applicable fee. Valid proof must include name, date of birth and place of study, and show that it is applicable to the current semester.
- Student cards/student ID on a mobile device confirming that you are a student in the current semester.
- Documentation from the school confirming enrolment for the current semester, together with a bank card, driving licence, passport or other photo ID.
- Students attending educational institutions abroad must have an ISIC card (ANSA cards are not accepted).
- Foreign students must bring ID and admission letters from the
Proof of enrolment for the spring semester is valid through August and through January for the autumn semester. If you are completing your studies, the last date for purchasing a season ticket is 31 July and 31 December.
For apprentices/training candidates, valid documentation will be one of the following documents:
- Personal ID card from the enterprise, marked “Apprentice” or “Training candidate”.
- Copy of apprenticeship contract (in digital or physical format).
- Confirmation from the enterprise that you are an apprentice/training candidate, containing the period for the apprenticeship contract, name and date of birth.
Military means conscripted personnel undergoing initial service. This group pays approximately half price on single tickets, but the lowest price is equal to the adult price for 1 zone.
The military discount is applicable for the period stated on the ID card issued by the Norwegian Ministry of Defence (FD-ID). FD-ID is valid as documentation. For call-up journeys, the call-up order may be used as documentation.
The military discount is only offered to Norwegian citizens with a connection to the Norwegian Armed Forces.
4.6 Travel companions
Travel companions of persons with disabilities who have a companion card and a valid ticket travel free of charge on Skyss’ means of transport. The travel companion does not need a ticket.
On trains: When using a Skyss ticket on journeys by train in Zone A (between Bergen and Trengereid), the same conditions apply as on buses, the Bergen Light Rail and boats. Separate rules apply for journeys by train outside of Zone A.
Various discounts may be granted to multiple individuals travelling together. You can also achieve a discount by combining travel by bus and boat.
Travellers over 18 years of age who have a valid ticket can bring up to four children between the ages of six and 18 for free. Children under six years of age always travel for free.
The family discount also applies to trains (Voss Line/Arnalokalen) for single tickets and 24-hour tickets in Zone A between Bergen – Arna – Trengereid and season tickets (7-, 30 and 180-day tickets) in zones A, E and F between Bergen and Voss.
A 17 per cent discount will be given to adults when 10 or more people travel together using single tickets. Children, seniors and military do not receive a special discount, but are included in the number of travellers. Students are not given a discounted price on single tickets and are counted as adults. Children under six years of age travel for free and are not included in the number of travellers.
Group discounts cannot be combined with other discounted tickets. Contact Vy for group travel by train.
5.3 Combination journeys by bus/boat
When purchasing season tickets for combination journeys by bus/boat, you can achieve a discount. The discount varies depending on where you are travelling.
5.4 Travel discount
Travel discount is only applicable to adult single tickets purchased in the Skyss ticket app. The travel discount is calculated based in ticket purchases in the last 30 days. The more tickets one buys, the cheaper the next ticket becomes. Travelers begin to earn discounts from their first ticket purchases and will get reduced prices starting from their second ticket purchase. You can achieve a maximum discount of 40 percent off the full price.
Skyss has its own airport express buses travelling to/from Førde Airport Bringeland and Sogndal Airport Haukåsen.
- For journeys with the airport bus that start or end at the airport, specific prices and rules apply: You can purchase single tickets for adults, children, seniors and Children, seniors and military pay half price.
- You must purchase a ticket on board and pay for it in cash or with a debit/credit card.
- The 30-day youth ticket can be used as a ticket on the airport express.
Note: Family-, group-, and travel discounts do not apply.
For short trip with the airport bus that do not start or end at the airport, the following rules apply:
- You pay regular prices (zone price)
- You can use season tickets (7-, 30- and 180-day tickets)
7.1 Hand luggage
Hand luggage is free of charge.
7.2. Strollers, wheelchairs and skis
Strollers, wheelchairs and skis can be brought free of charge as long as there is space.
Animals travel for free. Separate rules apply on trains.
7.4 Bicycles and scooter
Bus/Bergen Light Rail: It is possible to bring a bicycle/e-bike and a large scooter/e-scooter as long as there is space. Such items cost approx. half the price of a single ticket. Collapsed bikes/scooters are counted as hand luggage.
Askøybåten, Nordhordlandsbåten, Florabassenget and Kaupanger Quay- Frønningen: Bicycles/e-bikes and scooters/e-scooters can be brought free of charge as long as there is space.
Single tickets and 24-hour tickets will not be refunded. 7-, 30- and 180-day season tickets and youth season tickets are refundable. Contact Skyss’ customer service centre for a settlement and transfer of any remaining value to a bank account.
The school ticket can only be used by the person to whom it has been issued, and entitles you to two journeys per school day between home and school. The school ticket for primary schools are valid from the hours of 05:00 to 19:00, and until 23:00 for upper secondary school. The ticket cannot be used on Saturdays, Sundays and during school holidays.
The pupils can choose to have the school ticket in the Skyss ticket app or in the Skyss school card.
Pupils who lose their school card must cover their own travel expenses until they receive a new card. If it is the school that manages the school card, you must contact the school to receive a new card. The rules for school transport are set out in the school transport regulations. Individuals who use a Skyss school cards must show valid identification upon ticket inspection. Read more about the Skyss School Ticket in the Skyss ticket app here (Norwegian only).